Est. 20th Sept 1893
Q150 Grant

In 2009 the cemetery was surveyed utilising the services of a firm with a ground penetrating radar and independent expert searching for unmarked graves.  This resulted in the discovery of one gravesite, which was marked with a plaque.
q150 logo 250x250px 150dpi.jpgqg_logo clr 236x211px 150dpi.jpgThe Queensland government provided the funding with a Q150 grant as part of Queensland’s 150th celebration of statehood – 6th June 2009.
Also funded were a commemorative plaque and the Cemetery name over the gates.
This commemorative plaque, on a large piece of granite placed at the entrance of the Historic Precinct, is dedicated to the pioneering families of Mt Mee.  Some of the settlers were timber getters, timber haulers and dairy farmers.
The timber harvested from this district was used in the construction of the Story Bridge, St Stephen’s Cathedral, Hornibrook Viaduct, and many of the homes in the greater Brisbane area.
Brief history
The Mt Mee Cemetery was established on the 20th September 1893 by a deed of grant from the Colonial Lands Office to the community of Mt Mee.  The total area of the reserve is approx 2 hectares.
This Cemetery is one of three community owned and managed cemeteries in the Moreton Bay Regional Council area.  The administration changed in 2008 from a trusteeship to incorporated association with the volunteer members.
Anecdotal stories
Local tradition from the early days was “ one grave = one keg”.  This was from the time when neighbours pitched in and helped dig graves without the aid of machinery.
Correspondence from the 1930’s has revealed an interesting story about the cemetery.
Faced with the task of digging a grave and knowing that the ground in the cemetery is rocky, the locals used explosives to complete the work.
Future plans
The Cemetery will have some new features.  It is proposed to extend the Cemetery from the existing two sections  – the Historic Precinct and Columbarium Wall, to include a Memorial Garden, and a Lawn Section.
A set of gardens will feature at the front entrance and provide a colourful detail to set off the gates.  Outdoor seating and a series of small gazebos will also be sited throughout the Cemetery.
The Historic Precinct is the original part of the Cemetery and will be defined by a series of low hedges on its boundary.
The Memorial Garden will consist of several large plantings of Australian natives suitable for the area, and the gardens at the front gates will comprise of a range of flowering shrubs.
The Lawn Section will have flat headstones to present an uninterrupted lawn view going past the Historic Precinct.
Progress Report
The replacement boundary fence is well under construction and has increased the size of the working part of the Cemetery to four times its previous area.  There is still approximately half of the total reserve area beyond this fence.
The gardens have been designed, turned over and are ready for planting.
Community members on a volunteer basis do all the work at the Cemetery.
Acknowledgment must be made of the generous support of local businesses:
Creative Earthmoving; Wamuran Co-operative; Bracalba Quarry; Fairhill Native Plants; Australia Park Nursery; Barung Landcare Nursery; Bush Garden Nursery; Institute of TAFE.

About Editor